Saturday, July 5, 2014

VCDX – It’s a Journey and NOT a Destination!


It is 4th of July and the entire US is enjoying the holiday, while I am just travelling back post some exciting meetings with some of the large customers in India on how they should go about virtualizing their S-A-P infrastructure. The animated discussions on SAP HANA were not only satisfying, but were also fulfilling as I am getting deeper in my new role of a Solution Architect, here in India with VMware.

It all started in the year 2007, when I first heard about the term Virtualized servers which were using the storage I use to support in HP. “Really, you have shared the same LUN between 30 Windows and Linux virtual machine” is what I asked a customer with a wicked grin on my face, thinking that how people don’t understand the basics of storage – HUH!! Then is the first time, when the customer responded and said, “He is running the servers on VMware Hypervisor which allows him to do so”.

Alright, the world is changing and I was not as I was just 23 years old and was still contemplating, if I should get into the business of data-centers or should I become a Certified Public Accountant and work in Australia to live happily ever after. Well, the decision which I took is obvious and I am happy, that I was exposed to the world of Virtualization & VMware, at the right place and the right time. GOD HAD PLANS!! Isn’t it. ;-)

NOW, when I look back at the past 7 years, the only time, I have actually looked back is TODAY and trust me it was important. In the time gone by, life has been a roller coaster with all the ups and downs of the world. However, in the entire journey so far, not once I had to regret about the path which I chose back in 2007 as it was not only rewarding, but life changing for me.

In the year 2009, when I was deep into learning and working on VMware Virtualization Technology [BTW the learning will never stop – and this is the single biggest thing which keeps you going ;-)], I use to hear about the elite group of VIRTUAL GODS called VCDXs a.k.a. VMware Certified Design Experts. Being into VMware Support, we use to swear by these Virtual Gods while discussing the technology with colleagues and customers. The more I worked with customers, the more I realized that I need to be out there to learn how to design these infrastructures by understanding how they will help the business of the customers. This gave me a chance to look at a role of a consultant which helped me get on direct customer engagements.

Before I knew I was in front of the customers, helping them design small to large VMware Virtual Infrastructures. It's been close to 5 years now, and as I write this, in 4 days time, I will be out there in Singapore defending my VCDX design in front of the GODs of the game.

Well, it has been a dream run so far and a blog post would be small to thank all the people who have helped me in the journey so far. I am not very worried about the results to be honest, because the entire process of preparing for The Title has been rewarding. I have suddenly started talking like an Architect and every decision I take today has a list of benefits and trade offs along with a clear understanding of the impact on others :-) VCDX or NOT, I will continue to enjoy the joyride as I have done so far...

With that note I will close this article and go and relax a bit and look forward to enjoy the upcoming EXPERIENCE.

Will come back soon to start writing about what I have been up-to in my work (Other than VCDX). 

Till then.. Cheers :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment